Enhancing the European Maritime Dimension
The CPMR is by definition the organisation keen and dedicated to promoting Regions that are interested in maritime affairs. Its maritime agenda describes the actions that it will carry out at European level and in the sea basins through its Geographical Commissions.
The CPMR strongly contributed to the creation of the European Integrated Maritime Policy (IMP) established in 2007. Since then, the CPMR has been supporting efforts to strengthen the governance of the IMP and the “blue growth” approach.
A regular partner of EU institutions, the CPMR is member of several expert groups of the European Commission and has Observer Status within the International Oil Pollution Compensation Funds (IOPC Funds).
After a successful campaign and following the approval of the Conference of Presidents on 19 December, we are proud to announce that the Seas, Rivers, Islands and Coastal Areas Intergroup has been re-established with MEP Tonino PICULA (S&D, Croatia) as new President! We warmly welcome 114 new members from 24 countries and 6 political groups which is a significant increase compared to the previous mandate.
Have a look at our priorities for the next mandate on which we will work together with our new Board:
– Promote science and innovation through the “Mission on Healthy Oceans, Seas, Coastal and Inland Waters”
– Ensure that the role of oceans is considered in the climate debate
– Pursue the Blue Growth Strategy to provide sustainable growth
– Promote the young professionals and women in the Blue Economy
– Widen the river dimension within SEARICA to recover a good ecological status of European river basins
– Demonstrate and further improve the ability of islands to be frontrunners in tackling island problems and to ensure good living conditions for islanders while respecting environmental standards
– Address environmental and microplastic pollution in the aquatic and marine environment
– Ensure that the new Biodiversity Strategy for 2030 protects aquatic and marine species and habitats
– Implement effective international ocean governance
We look forward to introducing you to the new Board of SEArica and to welcome you to the first events in 2020.