The CPMR participated in the first Joint Programming Initiative Oceans Conference in Brussels on 7 May 2015, during which the 1st Strategic Research and Innovation Agenda of JPI Oceans was presented. Damien Périssé, CPMR Director for Maritime Affairs, stressed the potential synergies between investments made at regional level through the support of EU ESI funds (e.g. ERDF, EMFF) and initiatives of JPI Oceans. The CPMR is currently conducting an analysis of the blue growth dimension in Smart Specialisation Strategies and ESI funds, which will be presented on 22 September 2015 in Brussels during the Conference “Blue.invest – EU support to maritime regions”.
The Joint Programming Initiative Healthy and Productive Seas and Oceans (JPI Oceans) was established in 2011 as a coordinating and integrating strategic platform, open to all EU Member States and associated countries investing in marine and maritime research. JPI Oceans covers all European sea basins with 21 participating countries, which provide a long-term integrated approach to marine and maritime research and technology development in Europe.
The first JPI Strategic Agenda identifies 10 strategic areas:
- Exploring Deep Sea Resources;
- Technology and Sensor Developments;
- Science Support to Coastal and Maritime Planning and Management;
- Linking Oceans, Human Health and Wellbeing;
- Interdisciplinary Research for Good Environmental Status;
- Observing, Modelling and Predicting Oceans State and Processes;
- Climate Change Impact on Physical and Biological Ocean Processes;
- Effects of Ocean Acidification on Marine Ecosystems;
- Food Security and Safety Driving Innovation in a Changing World;
- Use of Marine Biological Resources through Development and Application of Biotechnology.