The Task Force generally aims to:
- engage the Regions in the implementation of the Paris Agreement;
- understand the economic, social and environmental impact of climate change in peripheral maritime Regions;
- share the Regions’ experiences on climate change mitigation and adaptation;
- ensure synergies with existing projects, as well as with the key objectives of the Sustainable Development Goals for 2030.
Specifically, it addresses the thematic areas of:
Mitigation of climate change
- Foster development of renewable energies and smart grids in peripheral maritime Régions;
- Promote the active role of Regional Authorities, businesses, research centres and citizens in their energy and climate transition, as well as the best forms of governance and participation;
- Promote implementation of the provisions for island and peripheral territories laid down in the Treaty on Trans-European Networks for Energy;
- Ensure that these priorities are taken into account in the European electricity, energy and carbon markets.
Adaptation to the foreseeable effects of climate change
- Understand and share the consequences and challenges of climate change and the capacity for action of Regional Authorities;
- Help to implement the EU White Paper and the EU Strategy for Adaptation;
- Ensure that these priorities are taken into account in post-2020 Cohesion Policy;
- Encourage Regional Authorities’ access to data, tools and information regarding adaptation.